I want to be a homemaker for the rest of my life. That's right. Even when the kids are older. Even once they have moved out of the house. I know that in our culture it's not something many women (or men) want to spend their lives doing. It's even looked down upon because a homemaker isn't making money - and that's what is most important to most of the members of our society these days.
But I am loving my role in our family right now. I clean, organize, declutter and decorate the house, keep the back and front yards looking tidy (with J's help), tend the garden; clean, iron and mend our clothes; feed M, play with M, read to M, help M learn new things, dress M, comfort M and help her get to sleep; take care of the cats; plan meals, cook healthy homemade dinners, bake cookies and cakes; grocery shop, keep track of our budget, find ways to save money and pay the bills; keep track of birthdays and invitations, try to find creative, inexpensive, and or homemade gifts for friends and family.
In the near future I plan on sewing curtains for our two sliding glass doors, sewing a shower curtain, and sewing Christmas stockings for each of us. I would love to become a great seamstress someday like my mother. I would like to be able to make clothes for our family. I want to learn how to crochet and knit. I would like to grow most of our fruits and vegetables someday. I would like to homeschool our children if that is what they want.
I feel like I have so many things to work on that I could be busy at home for the rest of my life. Maybe I'll change my mind; I can't say for sure. But right now, I'm enjoying being at home very much. Because it is not generally accepted in our culture, I don't talk about it much with anyone. I keep it as my little secret.
No comments:
Post a Comment