Friday, May 1, 2009

M's Learning

I've been meaning to post about this for a long time now. I would like to have somewhere where I can record what M is learning and working on at the moment. I think this might be the spot - on my blog. :-)


1.) She can identify (receptive and expressive) all her uppercase letters. I never planned on teaching her about letters and numbers this early. She got this toy for her first birthday that had the letters ABCD on it, and she got a magnetic alphabet from my sister. She just started asking me about the letters and I would tell her. Eventually she knew the whole alphabet! I'm not big on quizzing kids; never wanted to do that. But she asks us to ask her "kestions". How can we say no?

2.) She can sing the alphabet song, but usually skips the letters E and M or N and sometimes O.

3.) I've heard her count to 13 without any mistakes, but only a few times. Usually she skips 3 and 4.

4.) She's been saying sentences for a few weeks now.

5.) She can identify (receptive and expressive) the numbers 1-4.

6.) She knows the shapes (rec. and exp.): triangle, circle, square, star, and heart.

7.) She knows the colors (rec. and exp.): red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, white, brown, and black. What was interesting to me was that she learned letters, some numbers and shapes before she got her colors down. I would have thought colors would be more interesting to a one year old than letters and numbers, but she has just in the last month been interested in colors.

8.) She knows many, many animal names and sounds. I don't think I could write them all here.


It's so much fun to watch her! I love how much she seems to enjoy learning new things.

No comments: