Of 2008, anyway.
I feel like our little family has accomplished a lot this year towards living a more green, simple, and frugal life. So I'm going to make a list for myself, mostly, to help me see all that has been accomplished. And I won't think about all of the things that we did not get done.
1.) We moved closer to our parents and J's work. This allows us to drive SO much less! J is able to ride his bike to work. We are able to bike to the grocery store, Target, a few restaurants, the park, the library, the movie theater, etc...
2.) We moved into a house with a backyard (albeit a tiny one), so we were able to start a vegetable and herb garden. I'm so thankful that we are able to grow some of our own food - and organically too!
3.) We bought a lightly used car that is big enough for our family, but still gets fairly good gas mileage. And we sold our other two cars. So now we only have one. I have been wanting to be able to do that for a long time!
4.) Still using cloth diapers for M, and we are still working on elimination communication (or "potty-training" as people are calling it now that she's older). Less garbage and less washing of diapers.
5.) I'm using cloth bags almost all the time now when shopping. And I bought a couple of produce bags too. We've really cut down on our plastic bag use (although we do still have a ways to go).
6.) I'm making more things from scratch and buying fewer processed foods. I'm finally learning how to cook and bake, and discovering that I really like it!
7.) Still breastfeeding M, just less often of course. Breastfeeding is simple, frugal, and green. And healthy!
8.) I've gotten a lot of decluttering done this year. I truly believe that we have less stuff right now than we did at this time last year, even though we are living in a (slightly) bigger house now.
9.) We gave up our cable and bought a digital antenna. It was a one time fee (just to buy the antenna); so we are getting a few channels now without paying a monthly bill.
10.) Because the digital antenna can be somewhat fickle, we are watching so much less T.V. I watch maybe one show a week (can't live without The Office), and then a movie or two from Netflix (we'll never give that up!).
I am feeling really happy with my life right now. I feel like I'm living how I want to live and not how anyone else says that I should be living. Our little family is working towards living according to the things we value. I feel more at peace now than I think that I ever have before. All is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment