Friday, January 13, 2012

2012 Goal Update #2

I am doing great!! And I'm feeling very happy as a result.

I ask myself every time I start to get stressed, "Is it worth it to get upset about this?" and "Is this going to matter at all to me in five years?" It's really been working. As long as I remember to ask myself those questions.

I have been complaining less too. I try to remember several times a day to be mindful of what I'm doing at the moment. Usually this makes me realize that whatever I'm doing that moment is either making me happy (playing with my kids outside, practicing the fiddle) or will result in happiness in the near future (cleaning the house, exercising). And that makes me feel very grateful for every part of my life - even the mundane daily tasks.

I've successfully avoided sugar (except for a few squares of dark chocolate and a margarita - which I have allowed myself) and grains. Every time I am tempted, I remind myself of how good I feel when I avoid sugar and grains. That gets me through the temptation. Tomorrow I'm having some friends over. There are going to be chips and salsa. I am not going to eat them. I'll say that now publicly and report back tomorrow. I am still having problems with overeating - especially nuts. It hasn't been horrible, but I'd like to be doing better.

I've been spending more time outside. It's still sunny here (where is our rain?!), so that's been easy. Lots of bike rides and walks to the park with the kids. I try to sit outside to read and write while the kids play. I remind myself that any day now the rain and clouds are going to come and I'm going to wish I had spent more time in the sun.  Too little sun and I start feeling depressed.

Sleep has been a little better than usual.  I could still be getting more, but it's just so darn hard to force myself to go to bed early!  Twice in the last week I've gone to bed before nine o'clock.  I should be doing that four days out of the week during Winter.

I've exercised almost every day since Christmas! I've been following my exercise plan exactly. It feels amazing!

So, yeah, I'm feeling pretty happy and proud of myself at the moment.

No comments: