M and I have been reading the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. We're reading them in order, and now we're on the third book, Ramona the Brave. I read many of Cleary's books as a kid, and I loved them all. It's so much fun to read them again now with M. Sometimes I have to stop and explain things to her (she's only four), but she understands more than I thought she would. Usually after reading a chapter or two to her, I'll ask her if she'd like to take a break. Nine times out of ten she'll ask to continue reading!
I helped her make the owl out of a paper bag that Ramona makes in her first grade class.
She also got the idea to make her own coloring book just like Ramona did. Here are a couple of her, as yet uncolored, pages. We stapled the pages together with a colorful construction paper cover. Then she had to make one for me, J and j. Now we can have a family coloring night! :-)
She also reads a couple of paragraphs to me each day. I cannot believe how well this little girl can read!
Other books we've read lately that we've enjoyed: Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes, A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead, The Biggest, Best Snowman by Margery Cuyler (we also like The Bumpy Little Pumpkin), anything by Cynthia Rylant (especially the Poppleton books), and the Elephant & Piggie books by Mo Willems.
j likes any book about trains. Seriously. Even if the train is a very small part of the book (An Orange for Frankie), he'll start calling it "the train book." He loves the two Thomas the Train books we're borrowing from the library. We recently got I Went Walking from the library, and he loves that one (even though there's no trains).
No comments:
Post a Comment