February 7th marked my one year anniversary of living primally.
I weigh only five pounds less than I did a year ago, but I believe my health has changed a lot. I no longer get stomach aches a few times a week. Now it's more like once every couple of weeks, and they don't last as long. I'm more physically fit, and I actually enjoy exercising now. I can tell my muscles are stronger (hell, I can finally do a pull up!!). The biggest change by far is my energy level, which is SO much higher than it used to be! I no longer feel that lazy, exhausted, how-in-the-world-do-people-get-motivated-to-do-great-things?! feeling. For me, that is the absolute best part of living the primal lifestyle.
I do not live it perfectly of course. I overeat. I didn't start consistently exercising until just two months ago. I pretty much gave up the whole thing during the month of December (wisdom teeth extraction + holidays = :-( ). The overeating is why I haven't lost more weight, I'm sure.
But the fact that I've still obtained major benefits makes me so excited about the possibilities.
I now have a food routine that I follow about 70% of the time (when I'm not overeating). I'd like to push that up to 90% though. Here it is:
breakfast - one large cup of coffee with 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
lunch at noon- big salad with tuna fish/canned salmon usually with half an avocado, plain yogurt, salsa, shredded cheese on top OR I'll have leftovers (meat and veggies) OR two slices bacon and two eggs
snack around 4PM - small handful of nuts, piece of fruit with tea; sometimes I'll have another smaller cup of coffee
dinner at about 6PM - some type of meat and veggies
Some days I'll have dessert - couple squares of 90% dark chocolate with a glass of red wine
And here is my exercise routine, which I follow pretty much 100% of the time:
Monday - ride my bike with the kids in the trailer to the library (30 minutes total there and back)
Tuesday - strength training. Five pound hand weights (various exercises). Push ups (I'm currently working on two sets of seven). I do this. Some crunches. Squats (two sets of 20). Other stuff.
Wednesday - In good weather, walk or bike ride (20-60 minutes) and I try to make sure the kids get to a park, and I play with them. If it's raining or ridiculously windy outside, I do one of my four old DVD workout videos (~20-30 minutes).
Thursday - same as Tuesday
Friday - same as Wednesday
Saturday - sprints. Here is an incredibly dorky video of what I do. Really, Mark?
Sunday - rest day or yoga/pilates DVD
I stretch every day. Yes, I'm getting more flexible!
2 comments:
Congrats on your one year! I just celebrated mine in february as well :)
So glad you're on the path to fantastic health! It's always nice to 'meet' other primal/paleo peeps.
Rebel Blossom, thank you. And congratulations to you too!
Post a Comment